WINCHESTER REPEATING ARMS
A SCARCE .38-72 (WIN.) LEVER-ACTION REPEATING RIFLE, MODEL 1895 'FLAT-SIDE', serial no. 1603,
for 1896, with blued 26in. round barrel (proved 2011) stamped 'MANUFACTURED BY THE WINCHESTER REPEATING ARMS CO. NEW HAVEN CONN. U.S.A.', blued receiver, rounded top to bolt, the top tang marked 'WINCHESTER MODEL 1895', walnut butt with crescent heel-plate, one-piece finger-lever, splinter fore-end (split and repaired) with ebony tip, the whole retaining a good amount of original finish (some mild surface corrosion)
Provenance: We are kindly informed by the vendor that this rifle, and also the following Lot, were first owned by Lt. Col. Lachlan Macpherson, Third of Glentrium, the current owner's great grandfather.
Macpherson, Third of Glentrium was born 28th June 1835 to the noble Clan Macpherson. He was to enjoy a distinguished army career that began as an Ensign, when he joined the 30th (Cambridgeshire) Regiment of Foot. He went with his regiment to the Crimea and played a part in three of the major battles in that war; Alma, Inkerman and Sebastopol before being injured and repatriated in the August of 1855. For his service in that period, he was awared the Crimean War Medal with three clasps (for each of the three battles), the Turkish Order of the Medjidie 5th Class, and the Turkish Crimea 1855 medal.
He was to serve later in Canada, by now with the rank of Major, and took part in the successful defence of the British province of Canada West when it was subject to an armed invasion by the Fenian Brotherhood, a group of Irish patriots who had served with the Union Army during the U.S. Civil War. In recognition for his services he was awared the Canada General Service Medal with clasp for the 1866 Fenian raid. Macpherson retired from the army with the rank of Lieutenant-Colonel.
He died 12th March 1904 and was succeeded by his second son, Duncan James, as Fourth of Glentrium, as the eldest son, Evan Gordon, had pre-deceased him.
Other Notes: Out of a total of just over 425,000 rifles, less than 5,000 were produced with the 1st model 'slab' or 'flat-side' receiver.